filmscanners: ADMIN: OT, bad tempers, etc

First of all, I have been too busy over the past few days to have monitored
what has been happening here. I only just caught up, and I apologise for not
having stepped in earlier.

Once again, some OT threads have assumed a life of their own. All I can do here
is ask for some self-restraint. If enough people want to talk Jay Maisel or
Copyright, or philately, or the perfect souffle, or fiscal policies of the G7,
they will do so whether it's a filmscanner list or not.

Like I've said, this is a social space, so although there's a formal purpose -
the discussion of filmscanners in case it's in doubt - /some/ tolerance of OT
diversions goes with the territory. But don't please mistake tolerance for a
red carpet and bunch of roses. The reality is that of 700 members and another
700 on the digest, most are lurkers and are here to find out about
filmscanners. Their interests have to be considered, please. If you must go OT,
at least keep it brief, don't write dissertations that will beget another 50
OT comments.

To anyone who finds the OT stuff irksome, please
- ignore stuff that doesn't interest you, you aren't obliged to read it
- if you must object, object to me, or by private mail to the poster
- if you want to object on-list, BE POLITE. I won't tolerate offensive
language, and I will expel anyone who appears to want to abuse people whether
on or off topic. Argument about issues is fine and constructive; slagging
people off is neither.
- instead of complaining or leaving, start an ON-TOPIC thread, ask that
question you want an answer to.

I don't propose to take any further action at this stage because I feel it is
slightly my fault for letting acrimony develop. But any further excessive OT
wibble and (especially) personal and abusive attacks is likely to result in
exclusion  of the author without further warning.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons