Re: filmscanners: RE: OT UK Copyright Issues

Julie... I am going to risk Dickie's wrath and reply... I don't know the
anything about U.K. law... however, the distinction that needs to made here is
the difference between copyright (which applies to an original work of art,
literature, film, photos, etc) and the rights to use images of a physical
object, person or place. Any person or place can be photographed, but that does
not mean that you can use the image in any way you like, particularly for
commercial gain... that's what model releases are for... However, there is a
distinction made for uses that are considered editorial or news, and uses that
are for commercial purposes (such as an ad). Many stock photogs have libraries
of what they call editorial use only shots, which are photos witout a model
release... The Loyds building and Formula One race cars would probably be fair
game to use as editorial shots, but definitely off limits for advertising, post
cards, etc. I have an idea the poor guy with FOne site was sandbagged by legal
bullies who could have been held at bay by his own legal pit bull if he had the
resouces to pay for it... He should have made it look like an on line
magazine... he also may have been using other people's shots (which brings us
back to copyright)..
Anyway... enuf said on this OT thread...

Mike M.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.