filmscanners: Grain in Color negative Film

I shoot Fuji Reala 35mm and scan with a Minolta Svan Elite into PShop
6...
I have discovered something I already knew, but now that I have had my
eyes rubbed in it, I am definitely changing my habits.. I am referring
to grain... specifically the grain you see when you shoot a broad
expanse of any even toned area, such as a cream colored wall or a light
blue sky... I have been scanning and printing out 8x10 prints of some
interiors I shot for an architect client... I discovered that the shots
I had the least (as in almost no) trouble concerning grain and spots,
stains, etc. were froim the negs that a top quality custom lab
processed... same subject, same film but a "good" one hour mini lab gave
me negs that 1. showed definitely more grain in the large wall areas...
2. had more trouble with microscopic spots that only show up when you
examine the scan at pixel magnification 3. had streaks and stains, again
too small to detect on a 4x6 print or with the naked eye, but definitely
visible

My Point? We had a discussion on this forum last fall, and I just wanted
to remind everyone... we are scanning film... same rules apply in this
game as in the darkroon prints game... the film processing is the key to
everything that happens afterward... if at all possible, have your film
processed by a good Custom Lab... not a mall mini lab... the difference
in your negs will be like night and day.. and you won't have to worry as
much about ICE and GEM and ROC.... :)
my 2 pesos...

Mike M.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.