Re: filmscanners: Jay Maisel Interview with Pictures and Link...

Very good summary, Roger, and concise. One correction:

>The copyright expires after a certain number of years
(I don't remember the specifics) and the clock starts running the moment the
art work is "fixed in media," not when it's published.

This *was* true, but I think it's been changed recently. In France (and
other parts of Europe), the copyright is in perpetuity. Therefore, "Gaitee
Parisienne" by Jaques Offenback (the "Can-can" song--and I know I've garbled
the spelling) still commands royalties when used commercially, 100-odd years
after the composer's death.  The same holds true for "Happy Birthday to
You," which was written by a little old schoolteacher, and is actually
almost a note-by-note ripoff of an earlier song. :-)

Best regards--LRA