Re: filmscanners: 110 film

If I am not mistaken, 110 film is pretty close to 16mm film which is again
pretty close to a 35mm film strip cut in half.  You might want to see if you can
get a strip of 2 frames into a 35 mm holder side by side.  In fact you may be
able to get 4 frames into the same opening as  a 35mm slide frame.  I would
think that  2 -  four frame strips could be used for the same slide frame, place
four images in the shide holder with the other four not in the open frame of the
holder and scan them as one image, then place the other 4 in the opening and
scan them.  The longer strips may be easier to handle and the scanner will see a
full 35mm frame.

 After that, you would need a program like Photoshop that alluows copying each
image independently and pasting them into separate individual images.  This may
be a chewing gum and bailing wire approach but may work even if you would have
to be careful about scratching the images not in the opening.  It also seems to
me to be better than handling each frame as an individual, tiny slide.

I also agree that it will be essential that you use the highest resolution
scanner you can get your hand on.

Lynn Allen wrote:

> Excuse me for coming in late, but I think the original question was "Which
> film scanner would be best for 110 film?", something I haven't actually seen
> addressed here, so far.
>
> Point One, it would need to be a fairly hi-res scanner.
>
> Point Two, it would need a carrier specifically designed for 110 or 16mm
> film. I don't know if that exists, but I think that's what the question was
> about.
>
> Most anything else would probably involve a hand-made "cludge" to carry the
> film through, other than hand-cutting the film into somewhat "clutterable"
> little pieces that would fit in a 2x2 frame but be hard to store afterwards.
>
> I'm using an Acer Scanwit (resolution: 2700ppi). It has a straight 8-3/4"
> film carrier, with 5 vertical separators to keep the film flat.
> Theoretically, a thin-but-sturdy insert could be made to hold the 110 or
> 16mm film flat; it would probably have to form a "sandwich" of
> insert-film-insert, but I can think of a half-dozen ways of doing that.
>
> The next problem is, that since the scanner is looking for 35mm "frames,"
> and the smaller format would probably not cooperate in lining up with the
> verticals, there'd have to be some "wiggle room" in the insert to allow it
> to reposition the film east-west, as it were. I have to do that if I'm
> scanning Instamatic film--fortunately, I don't have a lot of it.
>
> Beyond that, there's the matter of whether 2700ppi is enough. I do a bit of
> half-frame scanning, and my Scanwit's resolution is certainly "adequate" for
> those, but of course 110 or 16mm is only about 1/4 that size, and often not
> terribly sharp to begin with. So there's another consideration.
>
> To shorten a long answer: "I don't know." But that's my input vis a vis the
> Acer Scanwit as an option, and I hope it helps.
>
> Best regards--LRA

> FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
> Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.