Re: filmscanners: Scanning negatives for archiving

Try the web search: http://www.google.com
Then enter Hanimex Rondex slide

You will get a number of hits. Not necessarily in the UK, such
projector hits such as:

http://zbiz.net/collectibles/listings/154.html   and

http://www.ozsydney.com/collectables/listings/165.html   ($75 US?, Aus?)

plus a bunch of magazines: http://abccamera.hypermart.net/clear.htm

You can also do a Sherlock search (if on a Mac) and get a bunch of hits.

As a matter of fact, I happen to use the Bell & Howell cube system,
which I still think is the best archiving system (45 slides per
cube). However this system has been out of production for eons.
Nevertheless, it (projector) and magazines are actively sold on eBay;
for instance the 18 cube drawer type magazines go for $40 - $50 each!
But using a search, I found a used equipment dealer in New Mexico who
had 15 drawer type magazines (each holding 16 cubes, or 720 slides in
a space smaller than a circular magazine holding 120 slides - new)
willing to sell them for $14 each. So it pays to search around on the
net.

It really doesn't matter where in the world you are - -

There are also a bunch of repair locations - -

Dick
>Dear Arthur,
>
>I've just experienced yet another photographic archiving
>lesson, this time rather a painful one, with a lesson for
>all of us about dependence on current technology.
>
>I have thousands of colour slides, taken from approx
>1970-1991, and about 7800 of these are stored in Hanimex
>Rondex 120-slide round magazines. I have 'temporarily
>archived' about 6yrs-worth by filming them onto VHS tape,
>with commentary,  using a Video8 camcorder as camera on
>small, bright projected images. I'm quite happy with these
>results - they're mostly just holiday snaps, and I can
>always filmscan the masterpieces if I want to.
>
>On trying to continue the process, I now discover my Hanimex
>slide projector has died, and such machines and their
>magazines are extinct in the UK outside museums.
>
>So, unless I can (a) repair the projector, I'm faced with
>(b) transferring them to another projection system, handling
>them one at a time whatever I do (I also have a 1-slide-at-a
>time projector, which would be cheapest), (c) trying to find
>a second-hand projector at reasonable cost, or (d) (the
>correct solution for filmscanning folk), scanning the lot
>with my Scanwit.
>
>I estimate (d) will take a year's nearly full-time work, so
>I'll take the projector to bits first.
>
>At least our *digital* images will last a long time and are
>transferrable onwards in principle. When VHS becomes
>seriously endangered (not far ahead, I think), I'll invest
>in two cheap VCRs and a current portable TV, and leave them
>unused, so I can sit in my bathchair in future looking at my
>holiday snaps & analogue home videotapes.
>
>I'm not optimistic about my children being able in future to
>derive the same pleasure from my efforts that I get from my
>parents' B&W snapshots from my own childhood.
>
>Regards,
>
>Alan T

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.