filmscanners: What appears in Vuescan preview (was: analog gain)

>I don't know about the 'analog gain', but I previewed 3 times
>last night, on the same image, and none of them picked up the
>'clean' function. I was getting discouraged, but the final scan
>came out beautifully clean. It would be nice if the 'clean'
>functions worked on the preview, ...

It used to.  The Restore colors, Clean and Sharpen functions were changed in
Vuescan 6.6.1 to only change (show result in) the scan, not show in the preview
display.

There was a good bit of discussion near that time on the utility of the
preview.  I recall that Ed wrote that its only purpose was for cropping, not to
evaluate the effects of color or filter functions on the scan.  I think some of
this may have been that filter functions performed on a full (or half) res scan
would not produce the same result as they would on a low-res preview image.  In
contemporaneous discussions Ed also wrote that some (if not all) of these
functions were 3x3 pixel transforms; so seems reasonable that these might
operate differently on low res image vs same image at higher res.

One can "preview" with almost full color and filter function now by performing
a scan to vuescan scan window only  (turn off scan to files).  Not clear that
it saves much if any time (may be system configuration dependent); if you also
scan to file and results are satisfactory then you have the data file whereas
if preview only then you have still to perform the real scan.

An intermediate scan-view-test function that 1) only scanned to vuescan scan
tab window, 2) applied all color adjust and filters, and 3) [possibly?] negated
multiple passes (single pass) could get close to a color and
clean-grain-sharpen evaluation preview (close in that there has been some
discussion about color spaces and how color appears on monitor re device,
output file color, and monitor profiles and selected color spaces.  There may
be some windows vs mac differences too.

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/gallery.htm