Re: filmscanners: ADMIN: List Insanity

Tony - the consensus of some other list managers is that it is the
Naked Wife virus, which has taken a variety of servers down to their
knees, and hobbled others. Bringing them back up has resulted in
doubling, or more.  I really don't know, just what I hear. PC only.

If you haven't heard about this, you should check it out. In any
event, if you get an embedded or attached "Naked Wife" (I am guessing
it is an .exe file) head for the hills, rather than open it.

>Thanks to those list members who mailed me and asked why the listserver is
>sending out old msgs, duplicate msgs etc. I am afraid I haven't a clue, my
>control of the list is these days limited to a few emailed commands as it is
>run by my ISP. But I am on a couple of other lists, hosted elsewhere, which
>have delivered duplicates, and have also received some private email twice.
>Something is plainly very screwed up somewhere.
>
>I was just away for 4days on a shoot, and trying to catch up with what is
>happening here. Meanwhile, I am getting around 800 bounce msgs PER DAY from
>list members who have either
>(a)set up some forwarding arrangement which doesn't work - usually because the
>address they are forwarding to will not accept the list mails
>(b)lost interest, closed email accounts, wandered off
>(c)signed up to the list or digest, but fail to clear their POP mailbox
>
>I spent 4hrs trying to trace and unsubscribe offending addresses yesterday and
>Sunday, and am getting very fed up with it. There are certain people who keep
>on allowing their mbx to overflow, and promptly resubscribe. I intend banning
>these addresses in future as they waste so much of my time, so if you want to
>stay on the list PLEASE MAINTAIN YOUR POP ACCOUNTS PROPERLY.
>
>And if you don't, please unsubscribe using the method outlined below:-
>
>Unsubscribing from the filmscanners list or digest.
>the above command, ie
>   Unsubscribe filmscanners-digest emailaddress
>
>Emailaddress is optional, but allows you to unsubscribe an address which is
>different to the one you are sending from. This is useful if you are using
>forwarding or aliasing to an address which is different to the one you
>subscribed from.
>

>Regards
>
>Tony Sleep
>http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &