RE: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

I concur with you that fixed fonts, menus, dialog boxes, and tool boxes are
a design decision by Adobe.  My understanding from posts over the years in a
number of forums and mailing lists was that the decision was made that it
was too much of a pain in the programming ass to program for dynamic dialog
boxes and fonts in their interface because any change in font size toward
the larger would overrun the space allocated for buttons, dialog boxes, and
menus while allowing for dynamic dialog boxes, buttons, palettes, etc. makes
laying out the interface very complex and costly.  Back when this argument
was made in earnest, it may have been the case; but with the introduction of
floating dialog boxes, toolboxes, and palettes, I am not sure that the
arguments against dynamic fonts and dialog boxes is valid anymore.

I suppose they selected an average size font for the monitors in popular use
by their clients at the time the decision was made to stick with fixed fonts
and dialog boxes; this leads me to believe that as monitor sizes increase
and display resolutions rise, Adobe will not move away from fixed font sizes
but will just move up to a larger fixed font size that represents the new
average of the monitors being used by its customers.  However, only time
will tell.