RE: filmscanners: OT: Co-processors & Amiga

Hi, Lynn!

I am getting flashbacks from my early computer days!  I bought an Atari ST
back in 1985 shortly after they came out, and learned a great deal about
computers and programming with it.  The GEM (not related to the scanning
GEM) GUI was a really nice windows desktop UI that I wish had been marketed
in it's PC version better than it was by Digital Research (of DR-DOS fame)

Atari actually continued making and marketing the ST line of computers
throughout the '80s and were reportedly trying to sell high end workstations
(the TT, as I recall).  Unfortunately, they really dropped the ball in
marketing them here in the US.  There were several magazines devoted to
Atari until the late '80s but they dried up as products ceased to be
marketed here.

I had the most fun with it emulating a Mac128 using a cartridge that
contained Mac ROMS scrounged from used Macs.  THis cartridge plugged into
the "game port" (I recall no games being marketed using this port!) and with
appropriate software, one could run a large variety of "properly written"
Mac programs on the Atari, at a slight performance BOOST!  (higher clock
speed 68000 processor in the Atari than in the Mac).

Cool computer at the time, but poorly marketed.

Guy "showing his age" Clark