RE: filmscanners: OT: Co-processors & Amiga

> As I recall, Atari 1200 (I think it was called) and Amiga were in
> development at roughly the same time.

Atari had a number of computers out before the 1200.  The 800 and the 400.
They were out in at least 1980.  I have original Atari documentation that is
dated 1980, so that's a pretty safe bet.

> Apple introduced Macintosh first. *Way* first.

Not first to the Atari.  The Lisa was introduced in 1984, as well as was the
original Mac 128.  BTW, the PC was out in 1982.

> Amiga had the patents on the
> co-processors,

I find no patents given to Amiga for any co-processors.  I do find one for
Atari titled "Data processing system with programmable graphics generator":

http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn10=US04296476

As a note, Amiga has only 2 patents with "Amiga Corporation" listed as the
applicant at delphion.com, and both are in the early 1980's.  Contrast that
to Atari, who has 170 patents with them listed as applicant.  Neither of the
Amiga Corporation patents is for any processing hardware...one is for a hand
controller, and the other is for another type of control unit.  Perhaps the
company name wasn't Amiga that they filed the patents you reference?

As a note, there is a company that has a patent in 1999 named Amiga
Development, LLC.

> So you made me break my promise not mention it again, Austin, and I hope
> you're happy! ;-)

Just want to get the facts/history straight!

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.