Re: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

----- Original Message -----
From: Arthur Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

> You are making a number of assumptions which may not hold true for many
> monitors and video cards.  You are assuming that most monitors and cards
> are sharper when placed in a higher pixel mode, and that more than
> likely is actually not true.

No assumptions Arthur.  Most monitors/video cards look better at higher
resolutions.  Only the best monitors/video cards look good at their highest
resolutions.  You may have to back off a step, but 640x480 or 800x600 is
antique.

I've been designing  and specifying graphics display systems (both monitors
and large screen) for about 15 years.  I've followed the evolution of the PC
and it's graphics modes starting with CGA.  I'm familiar with all that
you've mentioned and in some cases your concerns are true.

All I'm saying is for those who haven't tried a higher resolution, give it a
try.  It may look better.  But if you don't try it out, you'll never know.
I never switched my monitor/video card into 1600x1200 until I started
running Photoshop.  On my particular equipment (not highend graphics
equipment) it looked better.  If it doesn't look better on yours don't use
it.  But if it does, you'll be happy you tried it.  What do think Arthur.
Can you agree with that?

Bob Kehl

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.