Re: filmscanners: restorating color

EdHamrick@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/7/2001 5:50:02 PM EST, jmatturr@earthlink.net writes:
>

>> Read an interesting article about Applied Science Fiction's ROC
>>  technology of restoring color of old pictures, indicating that it makes
>>  its restoration on the basis of distinct patterns of grain-change for
>>  different film stocks. I assume that this doesn't use the IR channel; is
>>  this right?
>

> That's correct.  Neither ROC nor VueScans "Restore colors" options
> need the infrared channel.
>

>> The example shown in the creativepro article
>>  (http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/11973.html) was pretty
>>  impressive. How does the ROC method relate to the method used in Vuescan
>

> VueScan also analyzes the grain patterns to find the grain
> colors, but also does some clever processing to handle
> different gammas in each dye color (each dye fades
> differently when exposed to heat, light and humidity).

The article referred to at Creativepro states that ROC also compensates
for these factors.  In fact, the article implied the grain pattern is
recognized by the program in terms of which film type it is, and then
adjusts to the fading characteristics of that film type.

It should be mentioned that the author is a reviewer who visited A.S.F.,
not a spokesperson for that company.

Art

> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick