RE: filmscanners: RE: Win2k and application RAM

michael@shaffer.net (shAf) wrote:

> Mike writes ...
>
> > I don't think this is right. There is a total 4GB adressable space,
> > including virtual memory. Some of this is probably reserved for the
> > operating system, probably reducing the maximum for the
> > application to 2GB,
> >
>       I just checked, you are correct ... not 4Gb ... each
> app is allocated 2Gb (a MIPS throwback).

VAX/VMS got there first! The origins of the NT kernel as written by Dave
Cutler and team of RSX11 and VMS fame mean that NT has quite a few
VMS-alike features under the skin.

The division of the 4G address space between system and process is the
same principle as VMS.

My goodness though, call me an old'n but I never really thought we would
be pushing the 4G limits in the same way as once upon a time there was a
640K and even earlier 64K limit :-)

  (... reference
> Minasi's "Mastering Windows 2000 Professional" ...)
>
> shAf  :o)
> >
> > PAUL GRAHAM writes ...
> >
> > > I'm planning to get one of the new 4000 dpi medium format
> > > scanners for my 6x7 negs, ...
> > > Got a bit freaked out when I saw that a scan of this size
> > > in 16 bit is 624 Mb. (8 bit: 312 Mb)
> > >
> > > Mac OS only allows a max of 1Gb Ram to any one program
> > > (eg Photoshop), does Windows 2000 have similar
> >
> >     The memory allocated by Win2k for each program is 4Gb,
> > which, I believe, includes virtual memory.
> >
> > shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.