RE: filmscanners: pc monitors

        I have lots of experience with Nokia monitors, specifically the
445xi Plus. I do not recommend these monitors at all. A former employee here
ordered a large number of them based on their impressive specs. They are not
sharp, the screens seem excessively curved and they are difficult to look at
for long periods of time. I would recommend almost anything rather than a
Nokia.
        After about 7 years experience at home and in several businesses
using various monitors and seeing 1) how easy they are to look at for long
periods of time 2) how sharp and accurate they are 3) how long they maintain
their brightness, contrast and color accuracy, I strongly recommend SONY
monitors for any purchase in the low to medium price ranges.
        If you cannot afford one of the 19" or 21" SONYs, a smaller monitor
that is more accurate and easier to look at may give you greater
satisfaction in the long run.
        NEC monitors are pretty good, but don't seem to last as long as the
SONYs. Various color distortions, focus problems and brightness/contrast
fading seem to become problems for NECs before those problems arise on
SONYs.
        I bought a used IBM P200 monitor (20" approx) a while back for about
$300 that I am quite happy with. Not sure if this is typical of IBMs. I
don't have any other experience with their monitors. The P200 is a few years
old, but got good reviews when it was current.
        If you don't get a SONY, try to get something that has a Trinitron
tube (made by SONY). They generally seem to be superior.
        I have found *no* correlation between dot pitch and image quality.
Dot pitch is one of those specs on which people base buying decisions, and
manufacturers seem to know this and use it as a selling point as if it was
the best indication of image quality. The Nokias we have were bought
specifically because they had a small dot pitch spec. Unfortunately, the
person who made the purchase never bothered to look at the image quality
before purchase or compare it with a different monitor.
        Good Luck!

        Eli