filmscanners: Digital Watermark

There was a note yesterday about Digimarc changing their pricing
structure. I checked their web site this morn and it looks like you can
still register for the basic free (0-99 images per year) creator i.d.,
which enables the Digimarc marking software that comes with Photoshop...
the way I understand it, this allows you to embed digital copyright in
as many images as you wish, which can be read by anyone who has a
Digimarc reader (which is free). The pricey part happens when yopu want
to put your pix on the Web and have viewers be able to click on the
image and find out who created it, or link back to your web page, or (I
am not 100% sure on this part) have it picked up by Digimarc's web
spider while it hunts for Digimarc images to see if they are authorized.
I typically Digimarc embed shots that I send out via e-mail as client
proofs and on CD's of images I give to clients for their use (it puts a
nice little copyright symbol in the file name). I've heard there is
another system, but don't know anything about them.

Mike M.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.