Re: filmscanners: [OT] digital watermarking

Jules wrote:

> anyone here use digimarc's photoshop plugin to embed a digital watermark in
> your images before displaying them on the web?
>
> well, as if you do you may be aware that digimarc suddenly decided to charge
> everyone for watermarking 100+ images (an anual fee) last year, now they are
> forcing everyone to "update their registration" which forces you to either
> lie or pay.
>
> now i have over 5000 images that i've watermarked in the last 3 years.  i'm
> not about to pay $399/year since i'm not a pro, i've yet to make any money
> from this stuff.  the most annoying and scary thing is that i may have to go
> and regenerate ALL those images again without the digimarc watermark.

I'd ask them to provide some proof they have actually caught people
and that has resulted in some economic advantage to the registered
client.  I don't think you have to recreate these scans.  If you are no
longer registered, your watermark will simply not be "trolled" for on
the web by digimark.

> i'm wondering, is there a free watermarking software solution?

Yeap, all sorts, but they are visible ;-)  Lot's of people stamp their
images with a logo right in the center in an embossed manner, using
photoshop, or another program.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.