Re: filmscanners: Colors in Neutral Gray

At 06:17 PM 26/02/01 -0800, you wrote:
> > I did do the individual RGB adjustments to the best of my
> > abilities.  It was fun seeing what could be done, but my result was still
> > imperfect.  Does the darkroom still rule?  Or will I eventually learn to
> > beat this problem?
> >
> > -Berry
>
>Experience will beat this problem and the darkroom most certainly does not
>rule.
>
>Doug Herr

Is this really true?  I have encountered images where playing with RGB
curves has just made me feel like I am drowning (perhaps just in my
personal pool of insufficient knowledge!)

If it really was that easy, why would we need colour filters (eg for
tungsten lighting on daylight film)?  If the more experienced folk on this
list are able to fix up *that* sort of problem after the event with RGB
curves.. well, a few tips, or a pointer to a good reference, would be
greatly appreciated!

Note that I am not arguing with the point - I love my digital darkroom, and
have no problems with most images, but I know I have a long way to go to
really understand colour balancing, because it bites me every now and then..

Mark T.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.