Re: filmscanners: USB and data transfer as a constraint on time needed to scan

paul writes ...

> The new Nikon and Minolta scanners use USB rather than SCSI to
communicate
> with the computer.  Since USB has a lower data transfer rate than
SCSI, I
> was wondering wether this makes any difference for the overall
amount of
> time needed to complete a scan.  Is data transfer speed the limiting
> constraint on the amount of time needed to complete a scan, or is
there
> some other aspect of the scanning process that constrains speed?

    I would believe a scanner is faster than USB, but not by much.
The primary time constrant should be that of exposure ... that is,
image brightness values are more dependent on what the CCD needs for
integrating the signal, rather than how fast the data can be sent to
the computer.

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.