filmscanners: Scan Dual II on Mac platform

on 2/22/01 4:20 PM, trs80@btinternet.com at trs80@btinternet.com wrote:

> I did fancy the
> Minolta Scandual2 but here in the UK it's a full 33% more expensive then it
> is in the US and that I object to..
>
> Graham

Report on my initial experience with my new Scan Dual II:

1.  The software is pretty easy to use, and it has several of the basic
Photoshop-like adjustments that are quite straitforward.

2.  The sizing-cropping procedure is not very intuitive, and this makes me
wish that I could try Vuescan.  But I can work with it okay, and it is
getting easier.

3.  I have been able to make very nice prints on Generations sample paper
pack.  (I have not printed larger than 8 x 10.)  The water color paper is
beautiful to print on.  I am still using up the cartridges that came with
the refurb Epson 1160, before I set up the CIS (continuous inking system,
for the recent arrivals here).  The refurb has worked perfectly.

4.  I had a lot of trouble trying to get neutral gray in the background
out-of-focus area of one image (Fuji S400).  I ended up accepting some
magenta surrounding the darker grays that came out okay, and then around the
magentas I had subtle halos of cyan.  My wife and others said screw it, it
looks beautiful.  So it worked with that image well enough, but I do think
that may be a problem when I really do need to maintain neutral gray, and am
not just being anal about it.

5.  It is really fun to make prints like this, overall.  I last did B&W and
color darkroom printing in the early 80s at UNM (oh my god...).  Now, no
chemicals, darkness, washing prints, etc.  And my wife cannot complain about
the smell and mess of a darkroom.

6.  I think I want to have a second monitor now so I can have the working
image on a separate screen.

7.  Thanks to all those who offerred advice and info of various kinds on
this list.

8.  Now, back to art!

--Berry

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.