Re: Corel & MS (was: filmscanners: storage )

Richard wrote:

>Art - I'm sure you must know that Corel is broke, and is likely >to be
bought out by Microsoft, if MS can get over the antitrust
implications.

Given enough time (and lattitude), Microsoft will own everything, including
Macintosh. That's what makes Art's statement/theory about the "genius
companies" so important.

It's pretty obvious from this entire discussion, and similar accompanying
threads, that creativity and control of the end-product are serious
concerns, not just for pros and advanced-amateurs but for *thinking* digital
practicioners everywhere. Microsoft has always led the pack in "dumbing
down" the creative process (followed very closely by the television), and
their "One Size Fits All" approach to software is not exactly where I or
many of us want to be, IMHO.

I'm not exactly sure where Corel went wrong, but their "Me Too" approach to
programming & pricing cost them dearly. Adobe is the survivor because they
outlasted, not necessarily because they had the best concepts--those honors
still go to the pioneers of the Amiga platform, which were intuitive where
Adobe, Mac, MS and others merely wanted to be.

It's a long saga, and it ain't over yet. Hopefully, the inovators may still
win the day a time or two, else we needn't ask for whom the bell tolls.

Best regards--LRA