Re: Re-re: filmscanners: Beginner

Lynn: Your experience and insight are dead on. Armando has to recognize that he
is the guy who will take the hit when the hit fits the shan... If he has the
professional gumption to stand up and say "Look folks, this is the facts and
here's what we need to buy" he'll probably hear grumbling as the P.O. is signed.

I agree wholeheartedly that what he needs are both a filmscanner and a
flatbed... I just sent a 4x5 neg to art director for a Forutne 500... they
scanned it on a Linocolor 1400 (costs about US$1200 new with software and will
scan up to 8x10)
This is for 4 color process use... I use a Minolta Elite for my 35mm stuff...
works great and I have extremely picky clients...

Mike Moore

Lynn Allen wrote:

> James, Mark & Michael--
>
> Hey, guys, I didn't mean to turn this discussion into a flame-thrower
> contest! :-)
>
> Point 1, I haven't seen the specs on the vaunted PL3000 (sorry, I've been
> busy). If apologies are required, then apologies are given. I'd still want
> to see it (with a loupe) before I bought it.
>
> Point 2, if an art director gets very much reflective art that's under
> 4-inches max-dim to scan at 3000dpi, somebody is doing something very
> wrong--this is a bit like engraving the head of a pin, in real-life
> publishing. I knew a guy who did s/s illustrations, but he was an exception.
> Native of  Spain, by the way. :-)
>
> Point 3, while it goes without saying that the "absolute best" 4-inch
> flatbed format might actually be OK for "medium format" film or tranies,
> what about the really-really-really professional 8x10 transparencies? (Oh
> yeah, they still shoot those). Those're going to have to go the "Big
> Scanners," any way you cut the deal.
>
> Point 4, a 1200/1200 res flatbed will scan as big an illustration as the
> viewing glass allows and do a pretty decent job--anything bigger has to go
> to the cameraroom (also).
>
> Point 5, a film scanner scans film. That's why we're all here. Any
> questions?
>
> I'm not portraying myself as "Mr.Bigshot Art Director" here, but give me a
> break. I've been on both sides of the hiring/firing triad (use your
> imagination ). I know this publishing stuff, a little bit. If somebody
> thinks my assessment of Armando's dilema was wrong, that's OK--I've been
> *there* before, too. And if you'd like some real-life lessons about working
> under a budget with skinflints, I could probably e-mail you a list of people
> I've worked for in the past and even give *glowing references*. ;-)
>
> Best regards--LRA

> FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
> Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.