filmscanners: RE: dpi question (was: Beginner's question on which scanner to chose)

        [Oostrom, Jerry]  With all such measures I always assume that the
smaller number is the real resolution in one direction which I think is more
important: 1600dpi for the optical unit in this example and 720dpi for the
individual ink jets.  The larger number just states how precise the stepper
motor can position the CCD array or the ink jet array. Normally the stepper
motor positions it only perpendicular to the axis in which the array is
placed.
        But who knows, maybe that somebody implemented the use of two
stepper motors active on different axes, one perhaps being a piezo element
that just shifts the (optical/inkjet) array, thereby creating greater
resolution. No idea what dpi 'formulation' you would get then and if you can
derive the resolution of the (optical/ink jet) array only from those .

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.