Re: filmscanners: EZ Prints monitor calibration

Since I didn't get much response, let me simplify the question:

When trying to calibrate my monitor to Ezprints' test prints, should I:

a) try to use ColorSync's color controls to adjust the display
b) use the monitor's brightness, contrast, and RGB controls

Any suggested procedures for either method would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Collin

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Collin Ong wrote:

> After looking at several of the online print makers, ezprints.com seems to
> cater most to photo enthusiasts by providing large print sizes (wallet to
> 20x30), matte paper, unlimited file sizes, etc.
>
> However, they are lacking in the technical data they provide so that us
> customers can prepare their files properly and have the control we
> nitpickers require.  They should provide more data on: ColorSync Profile
> (ideal), colorspace format (e.g. BruceRGB, sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc), gamma
> (e.g. 1.8, 2.2, etc), red, green, blue x,y calibration, exact pixel
> dimensions and/or aspect ratios for each print size to prevent
> scaling/distortion/empty space.  I've sent them an email requesting that
> they post this data.  I urge others on this list interested in using their
> service to do so as well, so that our squeaking wheel gets greased.
>
> I recently sent in an order for wallet size prints which were processed
> with a few problems: 1) The image was skewed on the page, leaving a blank
> wedge on one side and cutting off the image on the other.  2) Blank image
> area between the 4-per-page wallet prints due to incorrect aspect ratio on
> my uploaded files (due to their not providing exact info).  3) Image
> rather dark and colors were off.
>
> Ezprints provides calibration prints that you are supposed to adjust your
> monitor to.  There are two prints, one color and one B&W.  The color one
> is an image of a bunch of houses with lots of different colors on it.  The
> B&W is an image of a couple kissing, and a grayscale gradient on one side.
>
> http://www.ezprints.com/help/CalibrationHelp.asp
>
> I played around last night trying to get my monitor to look like the
> prints, but could not achieve it to my satisfaction.  However, I'm not
> sure what the best way to do it is: via the ColorSync software on my Mac,
> or the monitor RGB, brightness, and contrast controls.
>
> 1) ColorSync: the calibration assistant takes you through these steps:
> - Set contrast to Max
> - Adjust brightness down til Light/Dark halves of box merge, and grey oval
> is barely visible
> - Adjust individual R, G, B sliders
> - Set whitepoint kelvin
> - Set gamma
>
> Using this method, I was able to get many portions of the image to match,
> but I could not match several sections. Some colors seemed too bright, and
> other colors I could not get to match, like the purple house.  My feeling
> is that I may be able to get closer if I could set the gamma or whitepoint
> first, but ColorSync doesn't seem to allow this.
>
> Also, when the screen image was close to the print, everything else on the
> GUI was really off in color.  The grey background in Photoshop was
> brownish.
>
> 2) Monitor: I can adjust brightness, contrast, and R, G, B via the
> monitor.  Again, I could get somewhat close to the print, but not in all
> areas, and 'normal' apps are totally off color once this is done.

> [...]

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.