RE: filmscanners: Re: looking at the Sun

> >All glasses strongly absorb UV radiation
>
> Oh good. That's what I was trying to tell people. Thanks.

Sorry, but I did not mean to imply that glass would absorb all wavelengths
of UV radiation.

UV light can range from 5 to 400 nm.  The various glasses tend to start
absorbing _somewhere_ between 300 and 400 nm.  The transmitted near UV
radiation between 300 and 400 nm is enough to cause snow blindness, sunburns
and print fading.  The heavy flint and rare earth glasses will eliminate the
near UV, but you will not commonly encounter these types of glasses outside
of camera lenses.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.