From: Alan Tyson [mailto:AlanTyson@bknowl.freeserve.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 6:37 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: Compression: was: filmscanners: real value?

Michael,

For those of us working at 2700dpi....

When you've got a final image with which you're really
happy, I find Ed Hamrick's choice of "90% jpeg quality" or
my own choice of "15% compression" in PaintShopPro to be
barely distinguishable at a pixel level from the original.

This typically saves a 27MB uncompressed 24-bit colour
photographic image as just over 2MB, and means 300-odd
instead of 25-odd images on a CD-R. Also, on my antique
2-year-old machine, reading and decompressing a 2MB jpeg is
enormously quicker than reading a 27MB tiff from disk or CD.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.