RE: filmscanners: Re: looking at the Sun

Infra-red is on the other end of the light spectrum and is of very low
energy per photon compared even to light. It is manifested to us as heat.
How is this dangerous? It is only when you get into microwaves on the wide
end of the spectrum that electromagnetic radiation becomes dangerous. Since
infra-red is manifested as heat, our heat receptors will protect us long
before any damage is done, unless of course we are caught in a fire. The
reason a greenhouse builds up heat is that the light coming in is absorbed
by surfaces and then re-radiated as infrared, which can't get out. It is not
dangerous to spend all day in a greenhouse, tending your plants.

Frank Paris
marshalt@spiritone.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.