Caring for inkjet heads was filmscanners: real value?

I apologize for continuing this off topic thread, but anyone who is
following it probably has some interest, and I've change the subject
line for those who are not so they may ignore it.

Over the years, I've leaned a few things about Epson ink carts that
might help others to avoid some problems.  The reason the non-chipped
ink carts are not supposed to be removed or reused is because sometimes
airlocks develop.  The piezo crystals in the heads do not create a large
enough draw or suction to pull an airlock out of the ink delivery
system.  (More on this later)

The new carts with the chip have been designed to block the ink delivery
holes in the cart, and the ink posts in the printer at removal so the
systems both stay relatively sealed after removal, to prevent both
airlocks and drying out.  Epson might have also improved the ink
cleaning station to seal the heads better to prevent drying on that side.

Epson's non "intellichip" ink carts are sealed at the factory
de-aerated.  Since most fluids at normal barometric pressure have
dissolved air in them, and Epson knew that an air lock can easily
develop in the ink supply system when a cart is removed, Epson figured
out that if the air was deaerated when it was packaged and sealed into
the cart (probably by either heating or vacuum packing) that the
deaerated ink could re-absorb the air from the airlock once it was
opened (during the cart exchange) and installed.  This ability only
lasts a few hours at best.  After that, since the cart is open to air
through the vents at the top, the air re-dissolves into the ink.

That is why Epson suggests not removing a partially filled cart or
re-installing it.  However, I have to admit, I have done so on many
occasions.  Now, I also admit I have early Epsons' which had much more
industrial strength vacuum pumps built into them for ink cleaning and
purging, so what I state here might not hold up for the newer wimplier
models.  Whenever I reinstall a cart, i test it.  If I get
non-performance from one or more noozles/colors, I do a few ink cleaning
cycles, but before doing so, I place some water or my "cart-clean mix"
on the cleaning station to help create a better seal and vacuum to help
the system draw the air lock and ink out of the head. I have yet to have
an air lock that was not resolved within 2-3 cleanings.

Your mileage may vary.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.