RE: Future of Photography (was filmscanners: real value?)

That's right. The pixels I'm talking about, the ones currently in use in the
Nikon 990, are about 3.5 microns or about 7 times the wavelength of light.
And even though they are noisier than the ones in the D1 or D30 for
instance, they are quite good, and when printed at 300dpi the noise is
practically invisible.

Also, The pixels don't need to get any smaller since at 3.5 microns you can
get about 30 million of them in a chip the size of the one currently used in
the D1 or D30.

As far as getting the wires out, that shouldn't be a problem either,
especially if the imaging device was CMOS since the data can be multiplexed
on-chip.

I think it's just marketing, but time will tell.

  --Bob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.