Re: filmscanners: Re: paperless office

Although we are getting closer to a paperless society, I think that the biggest
impediment is based on our legal system.  Though we could electronically
transmit
signed documents showing some type of commitment to do something, the demand of
document that has a "fresh" signature is still the legal standard.  The fax
machine has been around for many years but a document with a real signature is
most often demanded and follows the fax in the mail.

Paperless will not arrive until a) everyone has a computer, b) they are willing
acept a legal commitment via computer, c) the electronic security systems can
absolutely assure that people cannot be tamper with the records of falsify them,
and d) the courts accept that an an electronic copy is absolute proof of the
legal
commitment.  We have a long way to go to get to that point.  In the meantime, we
will have to settle for trying to be a society with less paper.

Gordon

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Laurie Solomon wrote:
>
> > I would suggest (a) that your office is a rarity, (b) your office
> > technically is not a "paperless office" in that you still receive invoices,
> > receipts, etc. from others that you need to scan in, and (c) most other
> > places which are relying heavily on electronic operations still tend to keep
> > paper backup files and archives of their files and records just in case as
> > do their workers for their personal security and use.

Arthur Entlich wrote

> We have enculturated certain specific habits and styles of functionality over
> many hundreds of years which have involved the use of paper/hard copy
>documents,
> books, etc.

> Ironically, when we have computers that more mimic our relationship with
>paper,
> we will get closer to the "paperless" society.
>
> Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.