Re: filmscanners: real value? paperless office

In <B69C43EE.8C8F%soho@eircom.net>, Richard wrote:

> And its been here in my office in Ireland for at least 3 years.
>
> Every piece of paper, receipt, fax etc is scanned using a Visioneer
> Paperport (very fast). As the items are scanned they come out the other side
> and drop into a wastebin. (The latest version of Paperport is called Strobe
> VX and scans in colour). The results are automatically OCR'ed and/or one can
> embed keywords into the file. From the File menu I can then send the docs to
> a MarcoPolo database, mine contains 20,000 items to date, one can also store
> any file, Excel, Quark etc by printing to the database and even store the
> original file if needed. I can search for any item whether it be the price
> of a purchase, a VAT number on a receipt, a clients name or a description of
> a product and up pops the scanned item in seconds. I can also search the
> database remotely from any anywhere on the planet using TCP/IP.
>
> I set up the same system for Radiohead's recording studio in Oxford. The
> band and management team can access the database from the tour bus and run
> their business on the road.
>
> It's cheap, effective and I love it.

I hope you back everything up to tape or CD-R before you get rid of the
originals? Otherwise a hard disk crash could leave you with mud on your face!
;-)

Brian Rumary, England

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.