RE: filmscanners: Filmscanners: Epson product philosophy (was SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?)

Do you mean a print taking on different appearances under different spectral
illuminations? That's not metamerism. Metamerism is a *relationship* between
*two* objects, not a *property* of a *single* object, as I have explained
earlier. Metamerism has nothing to do with appearances, but is a measured
relationship between two sets of spectral reflectances under the *same*
illumination. If two objects (e.g. prints) have the same tristimulus values
under the same illumination but different tristimulus values under a
different illumination, they are said to be metameric relative to each
other. The bottom line of course remains: look at a print under the
illumination the manufacturer designed his inks for. Be glad the
manufacturer designed them for *anything* this early in the technology
curve. Someday we may have it all. In the meantime, if we live within the
intended viewing guidelines, I stand by my original assertion that the Epson
2000P produces amazing results, and I do not hold it against the
manufacturer for not solving every problem at once.

Frank Paris
marshalt@spiritone.com