Re: filmscanners: ICE and B/W

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:33:22 +0300  Alexander Drunin (lists@drunin.net) wrote:

> I heard many times that ICE doesn't work with B/W.
> Proprietary VueScan cleaning algorithms - don't they too?
> What is the source of problems?

ICE relies on an infra red channel, which sees right through dyes used in most
colour films. The software is then able to determine what is image and what is
non-image (dust, hairs, bits of jam sandwich), and chuck the rubbish away.

Metallic silver in normal, non-chromagenic B&W films is opaque to IR, so ICE
cannot tell what is image and what is not.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons