RE: filmscanners: Scratched Negs & Home C-41 processing

On Wednesday, January 24, Alan  Tyson wrote:
> Did you presoak the film & tank in water to get the
> temperature roughly right first? That's what I used to do
> with B&W and E6. Otherwise adding the developer to a
> tank+film at a different temperature would give a
> temperature which would never be quite right inside a mere
> 3-minute period.

I do put the tank w/ film inside in the water bath while I'm
waiting for the bath to drop to 100F to start developing,
but with no liquid inside the tank. I put something heavy
on top of the tank to keep it from floating. You're right,
even though the tank is all plastic, the temperature would
go off if it wasn't prewarmed.

I think I found advice against presoaking on Jobo's site
while I was researching all this. They agreed with what
Michael Wilkinson just said, that film manufacturers don't
take presoaking into account and it has noticeable effects
on development which are different for different types of
film stocks.

I'm concerned that with such a short development time, it
will be difficult to keep the temperature of the actual film
reasonably near the specification without a presoak,  but
that the presoak, by pre-swelling the emulsion, might alter
the result anyway.

> I suppose the fact that you've succeeded demonstrates that
> it's not that critical, and what I should do is try it and
> see (as usual <G>).

Sure! Hey, if I can do it... <g> It isn't so terribly expensive
to try it and see if you're satisfied with the results, as long
as you don't mind a bit of adventure.

Best wishes,

Tim Victor
TimVictor@csi.com

ps: Apologies to all on the list for the WINMAIL.DAT files
that Microsoft Outlook has been attaching to my messages
without telling me about it. And thanks to the list lurker who
notified me that I was doing it. I'll be more careful in the
future.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.