From: Laurie Solomon <laurie@advancenet.net>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 11:40 AM
Subject: RE: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

"Lightfastness' maybe; but what about "gasfastness" or "ozonefastness?"
Afterall, it was not the lack of lightfastness that caused the orange fade
in the 1270 case and usually within a period of time much much shorter than
the 10 year lightfastness claim for the Premium Glossy paper.  I really
think that we all need to take such longevity and archivalness claims with a
grain or two of salt.  Yes, adding the provision of "when kept behind glass"
is  or maybe the qualifier than makes the claim standup; but how many people
keep many, if not most - not even saying all, their prints behind glass or
stored in individual Mylar enclosures.  Moreover, is the 20 year claim for
glossy or matte papers?  Typically the claims of 20-25 years lightfastness
have been for Epson Heavyweight Matte Paper and not for glossy papers such
as EPP, which have, at best, a lightfastness claim of only 2-5 years ( often
even if under glass in the case of the EPP paper this is extended to 5-10
years).