From: "Andersen, Jens" <ANDERSEN@btfrance.agw.bt.co.uk>
Subject: RE: incompatibility between CISCO & Bay Network
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:57:00 +0100

Jason,

I had a similar problem between a Cisco and a wellfleet. though it was
the other way round
They refused to establish OSPF neighborship.
It showed up that the wellfleet sent OSPF database descriptor frames
with a size  of 1576 (with a MTU setting of 1500)
The Cisco dropped those dead as they were above the accepted MTU
Raising the MTU on my Cisco to 1576 solved the problem.

However, it raises some questions on the exact size of the MTU

What size will the Cisco send/accept with a MTU setting of 1500 ? my
guess is 1500

What size will the wellfleet send/accept with the same MTU setting ? it
is NOT 1500  !!

Best regards

Jens Andersen /BT France