[filmscanners] Re: Tips For Sharp Scans Using Nikon 5000 ED

markup
  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Tips For Sharp Scans Using Nikon 5000 ED
  • From: "Karen and John Hinkey" <hinkey@seanet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:02:05 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:02:09 +0100

  • Preston -

    Thanks for the response - however I was not referring to post-scan image
    adjustments, but rather obtaining the sharpest raw scan (e.g., obtaining
    the best focus) from this new-to-me scanner.
    I have a lot of experience sharpening images from DSLR raw files so that
    is not the issue.

    I managed to get my old SS4000 to work for a while and compared scans of
    the same slide between the SS4000 and 5000 ED and found that when using
    Vuescan the results were very similar regarding sharpness, although the
    raw image came out noticeably better with Vuescan.  I found that using
    NikonScan did not produce quite as sharp of scan for whatever reason.

    Anyone have hints as to why the NikonScan image was not quite as sharp?
    Did I have some basic parameter wrong?

    The reason I'm interested in using NikonScan is I am getting the SF-210
    slide feeding and I'm not sure that Vuescan supports it - is this correct?

    Thanks -

    John

    --
    John & Karen Hinkey