[filmscanners] Re: Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner,

On 13/06/2009 James L. Sims wrote:
> With the support for my Polaroid Sprintscan 120 now unavailable, I am
> looking for a replacement.

Vuescan should resolve antique s/w issues on Windows, though SCSI support
may become more awkward I believe ASPI drivers are available for Vista. On
Mac I don't know with current OSX, but similar was possible. Same applies
to SCSI Nikons etc.

Regarding physical service, I recently popped the lid off my Polaroid 4000
(4 lever tabs) as it seemed to have got rather flary and low contrast with
some strongly backlit slides that included bright backgrounds, despite
living under a dust cover when not in use.

Half a dozen  self-tappers later and I was able to remove the lamp holder
and the top of the film carrier carriage. I was then able to clean the
angled mirror with a DSLR sensor swab - it was covered in a thick layer of
dust. Inspection with a torch showed the lens to be clean, reflected in
the mirror. I then cleaned every trace of dust and dirt from the mechanism
surfaces I could get at, and wiped and re-lubricated the helical carriage
advance screws.

Result : a total transformation! Scans bright and clean, loads more shadow
detail - virtually everything in Kodachrome. No flare and colour much
easier to get spot on. The mechanism sounds happier for lubrication too.
No more misfeeding neg carrier either, which the scanner has been
mistaking for the slide carrier half the time, for about the last 4 years.
I wish I'd done it earlier, as I now think I should really rescan quite a lot.

> Has anyone had any experience with Epson's
> V750M?  The specs. look impressive if they hold up.

No experience, but if I had the money I'd have bought one to scan the
relatively small amount of 120 I have. From reading reviews the V750 is
very little different from the much cheaper V700. Lens coating seems very
slightly better and you get Silverfast with the 750. Most important factor
appears to be stand-offs for the film carrier, which can be improvised.
Personally I'd use Vuescan anyway.

--
Regards

Tony Sleep