[filmscanners] North Coast Photo E-6 w/ scanning?

I wonder if anyone has had positive experience with North Coast Photo. I just
got a test roll back.

Ken Rockwell (love him or hate him) mentioned them on his website. If you
request scanning at the time of slide processing, they will do "enhanced"
scanning for an additional $11.95 plus the cost of developing your E-6 film.

The slides are scanned to 3339x5035, which to my calculations means they are
scanning at just about 4000 dpi. You get a box of mounted transparencies and a
CD in return mail.

The scans were extraordinarily clean--not much time to collect dust if they are
scanned at processing. I am not 100% sure how much better they are than what I
get from my SS4000.

He advocates this as a cheap alternative to buying new digital cameras every
few years. Just buy a film camera with a 20 year life span and scan all your
slides.

The total cost for the single roll was US$ 8.25 for processing + 11.95 + 4.95
return postage + 0.79 postage to get it there and $8 for the film, for a total
of $34 for the roll--or roughly a dollar per shot.

Has anyone else used their scanning? As my SS4000 gets crankier, I am not
interested in replacing it.

Stan