[filmscanners] RE: film and scanning vs digital photography

To put it simply, when you capture an image with a DSLR camera, you are in
effect directly scanning the image transmitted by your lens into digital
electronic form; you do not need to go through a second process in order to
convert the analog capture on film into an electronic digital capture.  The
first generation capture equivalent for film is when you transmit the image
data from the lens to the film; scanning it into digital form later is a
second generation capture.

We are not talking about sensor size which has more to do with multiplier
effects on the effective lens sizes of the lenses being used and possibly on
the resolutions that are possible.

Hope this helps.

> This whole thing about judging photographic quality by the equipment
> does
> seem to me like a snooty conservatism on the part of Getty

Of course there can be some of this in play as well; but it probably has
more to do with Getty knowing the demands of their clients and wanting to
play it safe by insisting on equipment and processes that they are familiar
with and know will produce that quality rather than taking the risk of
having to spend time sorting through submissions which come from sources,
equipment, and processes that they are not familiar with and cannot be sure
are up to their needs.  Sometimes better equipment does produce better and
more reliable results on a more consistent basis. Would you readily accept a
prescription from an unknown drugstore that bore an unfamiliar brand name on
it and was prescribed by a doctor who had a degree from a medical school
that you never heard of and whose license to practice medicine was of
uncertain origins?