[filmscanners] Re: Kodak's alternative to Bayer sensor pattern

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Kodak's alternative to Bayer sensor pattern
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:51:49 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:51:47 +0100

On 6/14/07 7:57 AM, "Bob Geoghegan" <bobgeo@dgiinc.com> wrote:

> I know people out there have will opinions &/or informed speculation about
> this:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07061401kodakhighsens.asp
>
> The short version is that by replacing 1/2 of the sensor elements of a bayer
> pattern with panchromatic elements, Kodak claims a 1-2 stop boost in
> sensitivity:

Not exactly a new idea.  The retina in human eyes uses a somewhat similar
scheme.  Cone cells are selectively tuned to red, green, and blue light.
The brain integrates the outputs of cones to produce our sensations of
color.  Rod cells are optimized for low light levels (sensitive to a single
quantum) and their outputs provide luminance information.  Mother Nature has
been in this business a lot longer than Kodak.

The analogy between retina and the new Kodak sensor is not perfect.  The
relative concentrations of rods and cones varies across the retina.  And if
I remember right, rods are not truly panchromatic.

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>