[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan and 64bit Windows - Ed's reply

> My 2c cents here: USB printers, scanners and other
> peripherals that plug into the wall or are battery-powered
> typically don't draw power from the USB port so are not affected by
> the 500mA limit.

Unfortunately, this is not true.  The power that is drawn from the USB
connection has nothing to do with the power drawn from the wall to power
or run the device per se.  Power drawn from the USB port is used to
overcome resistance in the cabling and power the transmission of data
down the cable - not to power the device.  Powered hubs are active hubs
that get power from a transformer source that plugs into the wall but
uses this power to replenishing the USB cable line power that is lost to
resistance or too many devices making power demands on the hub for their
cabling and data transmission.

> The 7-in-1 card reader may be marginal in its power
> requirement, and some motherboards are less robust than
> others in this department (some can comfortably handle up to
> 800mA, some struggle with 500, some even vary from one port
> to another)

On these points, I concur.