[filmscanners] RE: large scanning project

Tony,

I think you are for the most part correct in you analysis of VS.
However, two points need to be made with respect to Windows XP and the
future Vista.

First, with the introduction of Windows XP (Microsoft, at the time was
in a battle with Adaptec over licensing), Microsoft introduced its own
version of an ASPI layer in XP and dropped the Adaptec version from its
software.  To use the Adaptec version, which many devices required to
work well and which VS supported, the user had to get and install the
Adaptec version, which sometimes did not install smoothly and came into
conflict with the Microsoft version (which could not be uninstalled).
Even after Microsoft and Adaptec made up, this has tended to be the case
and probably will be true in Vista.

Secondly, it is also the case that the new Vista will not be including
or, as far as I know and understand, twain drivers for anything - 32 or
64 bit.  Microsoft will be moving away from twain to their WIA (Windows
Imaging Architecture) as their plug and play recognition process and the
means by which applications make calls to imaging peripherals. It will
employ its own user device drivers and kernel drivers as well as use its
own form of automation or ASPI layer (different from the Adaptec ASPI
layer).  It will support WIA compatible USB, Firewire, and SCSI devices.
It will not support Twain or parallel port devices.