[filmscanners] RE: large scanning project

A couple of points need to be made.

First, there are differences between native drivers for 64 bit operating
systems and 32 bit operating systems. If you are running X64, then it is
probably downgrading or reverting to 32 bit in order to use the 32 bit
scanner drivers (I do not think that Minolta or any other scanner
manufacturer has 64 bit drivers for their scanners) in order to use the
existing drivers.

Second, Vista when it is released will come in both 32 bit and 64 bit
versions.  The X64 will only be a forerunner to the 64 bit version of Vista
and not to the 32 bit version.

Thirdly, it is entirely possible that Vista in all its versions may switch
from the current types of drivers for cameras and scanners used by the older
peripherals to a new type of driver, which was first introduced in Windows
XP and exists in XP side by side with the traditional type of driver but
will not coexist with the traditional type of driver in Vista.  Microsoft
may not supply new drivers for old peripherals so as to make them compatible
but may rely on the hardware manufacturers to supply the new drivers for
their peripherals which will be compatible with those used in Vista.  In
this case, users will be out of luck if the manufacturer does not furnish
the new type of driver for their hardware or if the manufacturer goes out of
business.