[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V ED, was: white LED vsCold cathode flourescent

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V ED, was: white LED vsCold cathode flourescent
  • From: "Berry Ives" <yvesberia@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:15:53 -0600

Hi Maurice,

Glad to hear that's working out better for you.

I've not used a target for calibration.  I buy inexpensive 4-packs of Fuji
negative film--usually Superia XTra 400--and it seems to work fine for my
purposes.  My last prints only required adding a bit of saturation for the
Super B size.  I'm processing entirely in 16-bit mode using PS CS and Epson
2200.  But sometimes I do have to make some color adjustments.  I like this
scanner far better than my old Minolta Scan Dual II.

I'm sure you have your reasons for using slide film.  I haven't shot slides
in many years, so I don't know how the results would compare.  Although I
always try to expose my shots carefully, the negative film provides great
latitude with a wide exposure range.  Here in New Mexico--and I'm shooting
usually at 5000-7000 feet [1600-2100m]--we have outstanding contrast which
I'm sure would be much more critical with slide film.  I would imagine that
inland parts of Australia may be similar.  When I was vacationing there in
1998 in late May along the coastal areas in and near Sydney, and especially
in the Blue Mountains, I had real trouble with the haze which I was not
prepared for.  I wondered if those eucalyptus forests contribute to the haze
with some kind of emissions.

~Berry