[filmscanners] Re: slide scanner - Plustek OpticFilm 7200i

This is an update to my earlier comments regarding this scanner, about a
month ago.

At that time, I indicated that SilverFast Ai wasn't the same as dICE and
that there was hardware required in the scanner to use IR cleaning.

Recently, in private mail, someone indicated to me that I had made an
error regarding those comments, so I wish to correct them now.

The OpticFilm 7200 did not have IR cleaning, however, the newer
OpticFilm 7200i (which was the one indicated below) does.  It also comes
with a new version of SilverFast which includes an IR based cleaning
system, referred to as iSRD which stands for Infrared Smart Removal of
Defect.  That probably makes this product the least costly and one of
the highest resolution IR cleaning scanners on the market.    It has
proper film and slide carriers, but appears to still require manual
positioning of the carrier. It appears to be supported by Vuescan as
well, which it appears to do a better job with the IR scan than the
Silverfast software.

It uses cold cathode lighting, which should help to reduce defect
visibility when the IR cleaning cannot be used (such as with true B&W
film).  I can't comment on true resolution and dynamic range, but it
does look interesting, especially for the price (under 250 pounds UK)
The earlier version (the 7200 had mediocre reviews in terms of the
resolution).  If it is the same optics and sensor as that model, it
still won't be fantastic, but still good value for the features.

Art