[filmscanners] Using high res digital camera for scanning/duplicating

Is the technology to the point yet where we could use a high quality
duplicating lens and a high resolution digital camera (Canon/Nikon  12-16mp)
to digitize slides and negatives.  What would the potential pitfalls be?
Would Vuescan work to color correct the negatives?

Forgive me is this subject has already been discussed to death.  I've been
away from the list for a few years.
If has already been addressed someone please direct me to the archives.

Thanks

Bob Kehl
ImagesByKehl.com
online for four years - thanks to this group