[filmscanners] RE: Flatbed for prints only

I think that these days you will probably find that all the flatbeds offer
some form of film scanning capability since the cost differential between
offering it and not offering it is minimal and the inclusion is a big
selling point for most potential amateur and hobbyist buyers - especially
with the slow dying of the scanner market and the turn toward cheap digital
cameras and inkjet printers that are attracting the man-in-the street.  For
most flatbed print scanning, an optical resolution of 1200ppi for a letter
size scan is probably more than enough resolution since prints do not have
all that much of a contrast range or a detail information beyond 300 dpi.
You might be better off looking for a flatbed that has as high a bit depth
as you can get and not get caught up in optical resolutions above 1200 ppi,
since the higher optical resolutions are only required when you are scanning
35mm or medium format film frames and want to enlarge them into 8x10 or 11 x
14 or larger print sizes with as little interpolation as possible.  This is
usually not the problem when scanning prints.