[filmscanners] RE: Old Polaroid 4000

Please forward any questions relative to the Polaroid scanner to :
dibellg@polaroid.com

-----Original Message-----
From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Laurie Solomon
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:49 AM
To: Kapetanakis, Constantine
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Old Polaroid 4000

I am unfamiliar with your scanner and its film holders; but it is
possible that the binding could be caused by warping of the holders
which may ever so slightly change the flatness and shape of the holder.
Independent of what they are made from or how they are designed, all
holders are open to a certain amount of aging, abuse, wear, and
environmental changes in conditions which can cause them to warp,
expand, contract, acquire rough spots that catch where they use to be
smooth.
If the holder is transported on a rail system, there may be uneven spots
on the rail which cause the holder to bind.  A possible reason that the
negative holder does not bind as much as the slide holder could very
well be that the weight of the former is less than the weight of the
latter - both unloaded and loaded with film.

This brings up a different thought.  It might also be that the slide
mounts of the slides loaded in the slide holder have warped or become
slightly malformed causing them to raise up while in the holder causing
the holder to bind.

Many of these things can be exasperated by the heat which the scanner
gives off after running for several minutes which may be enough to cause
things to temporarily experience increased unevenness which returns to
an existing state when the holder cools off.

Just some speculations.