[filmscanners] Re: Appropriate colour space to scan into and work with?

Your understanding is correct - I would scan into ProPhoto RGB at this point
(I had been scanning into Adobe RGB, which is larger than sRGB)  There was
just a thread on this on Dan Margulis's Color Theory list

You don't need to spring for Photoshop if you don't want - there is other
software that is color-aware, such as Corel's PhotoPaint (part of the
CorelDRAW suite), the latest PSP, and also Qimage - printing software,
modified into editing and printing over the last year or so.  But leav the
file as is for now - convert when you're ready for output.

Maris